Thursday, August 25, 2011

Defining Women's Reproductive Rights in Nepal

Still many of my classmates and colleagues argue with me about women's reproductive rights and their point has been women's right to abortion imposes unreasonable restriction to men's right to be a father. And I would always remind them that there is already a case law which proves that women's exercise of abortion right does not impose any unreasonable restriction to men's right to be a father.

Honestly, I had tough time defending my seminar paper and also internship report on Women's Reproductive rights in Nepal. Now I m writing my dissertation on same topic 'Women and Reproductive Rights in Nepal' and I know I need to prepare more to defend the subject matter I have chosen then.

Right now I am trying to do every little effort to make it comprehensive and substantive. I am at beginning and the whole task is to be done within upcoming 3 months.
My genesis says:
Women’s human rights emerged as an issue and a priority for action on an international scale in order to break the chain of gender discrimination and unequal treatment against women everywhere in the world. Women of the world has reproductive rights as their human rights. They are entitled to the rights to reproduction and can enjoy them without any further discrimination on any kind, such as race, colour, language, religion, political or other opinion, national or social origin, property, birth or other status.
Since Nepal is writing a new constitution and it is more or less clear that new constitution should incorporate the reproductive rights as women's right the way Interim Constitution of Nepal, 2007 does. The constitutional guarantee of the reproductive right is also essential in today's context.

And I will be inquiring into four basic questions:
1. Are Nepalese women aware of their reproductive rights?
2. Can Violence against Woman in case of reproduction be minimized?
3. Are the laws on reproduction enforceable in Nepal to protect the reproductive rights?
4. Does the state play the role as the protector of the rights related to reproduction in Nepal?

I m hoping that my effort will not go in vain and my study will not remain as a mere formality for incorporating a degree.

I know I m in the early chapter of my study and the best is yet to come- Women and Reproductive Rights in Nepal.

1 comment:

  1. yogpeeth rishikesh Yoga Teacher Training In Rishikesh India registered with Yoga Alliance USA at yoga school Rishikesh India - RYS 200, RYS 500. We have 200-hour and 500 hrs residential hatha yoga courses

    ReplyDelete